Monday, August 18, 2008

PERSONALITY OF THE MONTH

I have decided to chose Richard Nelson Sokial as my personality of the month. He owns sabahwarriors.blogspot.com. He blogs about architecture and how it relates to the history and culture of the local people.

He writes regularly for the Daily Express Sabah.

I have just sat down for work, and skimmed through the papers. As I saw his piece, it struck me that here is a guy who is above the fray. When everyone is blogging about the flavour of the moment, namely politics, here is one guy, who is above it all, talking about something that will touch us for the rest of our lives. There is a freshness about him and his writing.

I have read many of his pieces, and I enjoy his insights. It is seldom that we find somebody who loves his history and his architecture, and he uses very fine English too.

As we approach the anniversary of our Independence, we are emboldened to know that there is someone among us who cherishes the past, and at the same time is the symbol of a new generation of confident, knowledgeable, honest and brave people. I am sure there are others who contribute in their small unobtrusive ways to the betterment of our society, and probably we are better off because of their unheralded contributions. But today, Mr Richard Nelson Sokial, I salute you.

No comments: